I have decided to collect postcards and mail art of CLOCKS during 2015. They can be clocks in any form - I bet there is a clock postcard in your collection of cards to send. So any will be gratefully received and will be posted on this blog. If you haven't corresponded with me before please feel free to e-mail scriptorsenex at gmail dot com to ask for my address. All cards and mail art received will generate a card from me to you so if we are not regular correspondents please put your address on the card. Thank You! John Edwards

Thursday 12 February 2015

No 3 - Old Joe

This card only travelled 100 miles - from Liz in Birmingham in the Midlands, England.

This clock tower is known as Old Joe but, more formally, bears the title of  the Joseph Chamberlain Memorial Clock Tower.   Old Joe is the world’s tallest freestanding clock tower.

Students have to be careful not to walk nder the clock tower as the clock is striking or (so the tradition goes) they will fail their exams.


Old Joe shone purple last week to celebrate LGBT History Month.  Its clock face was bathed in purple light, a colour historically associated with the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) community. It also is the symbolic colour worn on Spirit Day, a commemoration that began in 2010 to show support for young people who are bullied because of their sexual orientation.


Lz used one of the latest Alice in Wonderland stamps, issued by Royal Mail last month.  The one she used was appropriately, the White Rabbit...

The White Rabbit appears at the very beginning of the book wearing a waistcoat and a watch, and muttering "Oh dear! Oh dear! I shall be too late!"  Alice follows him down the rabbit hole into Wonderland.

Thank you , Liz!

1 comment:

  1. I thought immediately in the White Rabbit when I saw your project :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always welcome - even if it just to say 'Hello'. I really enjoy seeing who has visited my blogs and what they think of the posts on them..